Welcome to Dilcon Community School
Dilcon Community School, Inc. is located in a scenic volcanic butte area of the Navajo Reservation 40 miles north of Winslow, Arizona. The name "Dilcon" originated from a mountain ―"Tsejin Dilkon," meaning Smooth Mountain. The area is a high desert plateau at an elevation of 6,600 ft. The San Francisco Peaks can be seen about 90 miles to the west and are especially beautiful in winter with the snow cap crowning 10,000 feet peaks.
In the 1950's, Dilcon School opened as a trailer school located about two miles from the present site. In 1962, the original permanent buildings were built and the School expanded from one to seven classrooms. In 1967, a second expansion project added twenty-six more classrooms and several other facilities. Unfortunately, in the summer of 2003 Dilcon School had suffered some irreparable weather damage and had to be condemned for demolition. Dilcon
Community School, Inc. was given the go ahead by BIA for new construction. In March 2008 construction began and was completed in July 2009. Our new school was dedicated on July 29, 2009. The state of the art building consists of a new gym, 16 classrooms, library, science lab, computer lab, common lunch area, food service area, music room and a residential living facility that houses 70 students.
About twenty percent of the student body live in Dilcon School's residential facility. The remainder of the student body ride buses daily or walk to school from the surrounding campus and community area.
Dilcon Community School is accredited by the North Central Association being the first elementary school on the Navajo Reservation to be accredited. The members of the School Board endorses the Arizona Common Core State Standards of achievement. Most students the finish the 8th grade at Dilcon continue their education at nearby public high schools in Winslow or Holbrook.
Please enjoy our website, and if you have any questions about the web page email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dilcon Community School, Inc.